Want AC in your van? Don't we all. We discuss why most people just choose to drive north and turn on a fan. We also explain LED lights, extol the virtues of standing mats, explore the Lincoln Highway and find weird tires.
- AIR CONDITIONING: There are three things in the way of you having AC in yoru van. We talk about them, and the best possible solutions. Let us know if you have something better!
- TECH TALK: LED lights are GREAT for vans. Low power, low heat - but they need to be hooked up right, especially if you want to dim them.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Standing mats? Exciting? No, useful YES! Get one.
- A PLACE TO VISIT: The Lincoln Highway
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: What to do (?) if your friend needs a shoulder
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Simple Tire for hard to find tires
Welcome! In this episode, we pre-empt our scheduled topic and talk about the current COVID-19 scare. (Wash your hands!) We'll also discuss wire gauges, a cool table, heater woes and the idyllic Smugglers Notch.
- COVID-19: While the virus is headed our way, there are some interesting issues for those living vanlife. We take a look.
- TECH TALK: What thickness of wire should you use? A brief overview of why bigger is better, and how not to make the same mistake I did.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: A nice, versatile table (that went way up in price for some reason.)
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Smugglers Notch, Vermont
- Thermostat Anticipators: A solution to rapidly cycling heaters?
Welcome! In this episode, we talk about surviving the Wisconsin winter, van style. We'll discuss diesel parking heaters, and how Hot Hands can be a good friend on a cold night. Also, we encounter a night-time parking hazard we didn't anticipate.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: This whole episode is one big tale from the road.
- TECH TALK: Diesel Parking Heaters
For the price, these are the best way to heat your van. They do require some serious installation chops, but once there, you'll have dry heat whenever you need it.
Hide anywhere model: https://amzn.to/3cbLwri
- All in one, easy install model: https://amzn.to/32wOUZq
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Hot Hands!
- Not just for hands anymore, toss these guys in your sleeping bag for a toasty night.
- Box of 40: https://amzn.to/2TdE71S
In this episode, we explain how to find places to park, talk about a 12v microwave oven, review Apple CarPlay, take a trip down the Enchanted Highway and invite you to visit YMCA of the Rockies
- Parking Apps and Ideas
- Park n Ride - found in many towns
- Free Campsites - some towns have free camping to attract tourists
- BLM - Bureau of Land Management has land you can camp on
- Walmart - Legendary parking spot, but there are cautions
- Cracker Barrel - Have some food, stay the night
- Cabellas - Dump stations with purchase, and parking
- Camping World - some even provide free power
- Casinos - all different, but they want you
- Military sites - if you're military, you have a lot of options
No app needed
Missing some places
Good quantity of reviews
Does trip planning
Different app for different countries (Australia, New Zealand)
Download maps to work offline
Doesn’t include Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Rest Areas
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: North Dakota has an "Enchanted Highway." We take a trip down it and find what's at the end.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Apple CarPlay
- Want to text and drive safely? Apple CarPlay can help, and do a whole lot more.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Power Hunt 12v Microwave Oven
- A PLACE TO VISIT: YMCA of the Rockies
February 5, 2020
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss realties and myths of "Stealth Vans," the ins and outs of ventilation, a crazy place to visit in Texarkana, a really useful dashboard device, and a great place to find used furniture.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Can you find the ark inside Texarkana? I did, and I'll share the secret with you:
- TECH TALK: Ventilation. You don't just want it, you need it. Really.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: ScanGauge II
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss security in your rig, why you should have a multitool, the ShurFlo electric faucet, how to be stupid in the desert, and Racetrack Playa
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Don't do this - a solo trip on rough desert "roads."
- TECH TALK: Multitools
- PRODUCT REVIEW: SHURflo Electric Faucet
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Racetrack Playa
Photo by Gregory "Slobirdr" Smith
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss COFFEE, which detectors you should have, a review of the Camco Olympian Wave 3, and a discussion of pet plants.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: A break down, a good Samaritan, and a difficult decision
- TECH TALK: Which detectors should you have?
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Camco Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Heater
- A PLACE TO VISIT:
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss storing food, what to cover walls with, a place that smells bad but tastes good, and a disappointing visit to an interesting place.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Aurora, Indiana and a strange museum
- TECH TALK: Wall coverings
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Alpicool 12v Compressor Fridge
- A PLACE TO VISIT:
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss loneliness, if you really need an inverter, Sunstone Mining and a review of Window Deflectors
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Aurora Maine, land of blueberries (and where our title image was taken)
- TECH TALK: Inverters
- Do you really need an inverter? Really really? Let's talk about it.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Wind Deflectors
- I though for sure the cheap wind deflectors I bought would rip off, but a few thousand miles later, and they're just fine.
- A PLACE TO VISIT:
- Sunstone Mining in Southeast Oregon
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: eTrailer
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss ways to how to choose the right van, how to build your floor, Echo Auto, a weird thing I discovered one sleepy day, Meow Wolf and a few other things...
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: A strange way to learn a neat trick
- It turns out that you can't be sleepy and embarrassed at the same time.
My beloved Wendigo
- TECH TALK: Floors
- Boring? Maybe, but your floor is the literal foundation of your van. You might want to pay attention.
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Echo Auto
- Love Alexa? Want to listen to any radio station in the world on the road, or play voice games while driving? NOTE: Since i recorded this, the price has gone up to $49. Sorry about that! Still worth it.
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Meow Wolf
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Divine on the Road's Solo Female Van Live
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss ways to keep clean, peep holes, ottoman beds, the City Museum, and an app to help you stay away from bad weather while you're driving.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Montreal Parking Lot
- A PERFECT parking spot has a hidden problem, and what it taught me about the realities of vanlife.
- TECH TALK: Peep Holes
- Want to see what's going outside your van without being seen? Consider peep holes!
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Ottoman Bed
- An ottoman that turns into a bed: https://amzn.to/39ycTug
- A PLACE TO VISIT: City Museum
- A true pilgrimage for any curious person. It defies description. Just go, and become a better person for it.
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Highway Weather app
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss using Ikea in your van, solar vs. split charge relays, and dogbowl sinks.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: A twin at Lowes
- What do you do when you see a near copy of your van in the Lowes parking lot? You make a connection.
- TECH TALK: Solar vs. Split Charge Relay
- Which should you install first? The answer is: you shouldn't do what I did.
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Bangor, ME
- If you're a Stephen King fan, it's a no brainer that this should be on your list. But it should also be on your list if you want to experience some authentic New England.
Pagurus at the Thomas Hill Standpipe, inspiration for IT.
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Kombi Life on YouTube
- Kombi Life tells the story of Ben Jamin and his amazing van adventure traveling literally around the world in Volkswagen Vans. You really want to watch this. https://www.youtube.com/user/kombilife
Welcome back! In this episode, we discuss lavatory possibilities, the necessity of sound deadening, and unwelcome encounter on I-70, the Ventline Vanair and Sanibel's causeway islands.
Some toilet solutions:
- What I have: DOMETIC 1223.0154 Gray 301097206 970 Series Portable Toilet-2.6 Gallon - https://amzn.to/37q2e2M
- A simple solution: Camco Portable Toilet Bucket with Seat and Lid Attachment - https://amzn.to/2MLsVXZ
- Most popular composting toilet: Nature's Head Self Contained Composting Toilet - https://amzn.to/2MNSBDd
- The She Wee, a solution for women: https://amzn.to/37wLSWh
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: Encounter on I-70
- You know those perfect moments of vanlife you've dreamed of? Here's one that went wrong.
- TECH TALK: Sound Deadening
- Do you need sound deadening for your van? Maybe not.
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Sanibel Causeway Islands
- PRODUCT REVIEW: Ventline Vanair
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Insulation Advice on YouTube
Welcome! In this episode, we discuss staying warm during the cold months, the first (and most important) thing you should buy for your van build, Indiana Dunes, and how I spent my first night in the van.
- TALES FROM THE ROAD: My First Night
- I put a cot in the van, some plastic crates, and headed out. I knew it would suck, but I also knew it would teach me a lot of what I needed to know to get the project going.
- TECH TALK: Buy this first!
- The first thing you should buy? A fire extinguisher. Seriously. Here's a good one that gives you lots of mounting options: https://amzn.to/2stOwxe
- A PLACE TO VISIT: Indiana Dunes
- It's true! Some of the best dunes in the US are found in Indiana, right on Lake Michigan.
- Everything you need to know to plan your visit: https://www.nps.gov/indu
- RESOURCE RECOMMENDATION: Element Van Life on YouTube
- YouTube has a wealth of information, and Nate's progression from an old Honda Element to a brand new NV200 can teach you a lot about van life. The fact that he's an accomplished video story teller makes each episode engaging, and over time, I think you'll consider Nate a friend you've never met just as I do. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX2_P3E87g-cBAtr1Lihfyw
Indiana Dunes, photo by Witoki
Welcome! In this episode we do some necessary introductions. My name is Jeff Wagg and I converted a 2014 Nissan NV200 SV into a stealth camper van. Though I'm not living in it full time, I've traveled coast to coast over the past year and have learned quite a lot through the process. My hope is that this podcast will be your companion as you work on your rig, travel, or just wish for a little bit of #vanlife while you're doing things outside of your van.